Skip to main content

Virtually There

J is always brimming with questions about India and specially Kolkata because her grandparents live there. The memories of the time she spent in India as a baby have long since faded and no amount of reminiscing is enough to revive their vividness. She needs to go back once more, spend time so she can form new impressions that will stay on. In the meanwhile, I try to give her a virtual tour - pictures of Lake Market, Durga Puja and the concept of para (neighborhood).

J's yen for India could well be part of a larger trend unique to her generation. I hear about a lot of kids like her growing up in the West, who love the Indian experience to the point that they beg their parents to stay on forever, or in the least leave them behind to spend time with extended family. It is not surprising that some of choose attending high-school in India like this blogger reports.

Recently, I was with a bunch of first and second generation desi parents (and grandparents) and conversation turned to kids and how they cope with multiple cultural and national identities. One older gentleman had a theory that I found very intriguing. He said, in the 50s and 60s desis were a small minority in America and had to struggle very hard to fit in. They were anxious to acquire the accent and any other external trappings of the western world so they could blend and not stand out.

Such parents did not present a strong, positive role model for Indian identity to their kids. As such, the kids grew up confused and unsure of their relationship with India and everyone in their family who was still back there. It did not help that a lot of these parents were not highly qualified professionals that came in the later decades plus there were none of the IT jobs either. A bulk of them had to start out at low-paying jobs and struggle to make ends meet even as they kept up appearances of having made it in the land of milk and honey.

However from the 80s forward, the desi immigrant did not try nearly as hard fit in - there was no compelling need to do so. By then they had the strength of numbers. Increasingly, they had the qualifications to land high paying jobs and actually live the American dream without needing pretense and artifice. Secure in their social standing in America, they were able to instill pride and confidence about their ethnic identity among their kids.

As a result, these kids did not feel particularly confused or conflicted about growing up Indian in America. To them, the experience was not any different from that of a Tamil kid born in Chennai growing up in Delhi. They are equally at ease in both worlds and think of both as their homes. These are the kids who have grown up watching Hindi soaps on TV at home - they are excited about pairing kurtas with jeans to middle school. They are less likely go brunette with blond highlights to look "anything but desi".

Even if there are exceptions, there is some merit to this theory based on what we see around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques