Skip to main content

Awarded Patience

My co-worker T got engaged over the weekend and conveyed the glad tidings to us this morning. Much friendly bantering ensued and like a birthday boy, T did not get much done today besides basking in the attention. By popular demand he promised to be available until there were visible signs of his hitched status. A date for the wedding has not been fixed yet.

Later in the afternoon we went into a meeting where T was the only man. One woman congratulated him, soon everyone knew and "Oohs" and "Aahs" followed. Then there were questions. "So how did she react ?", "How did you propose ?", "Was she expecting it ?" (the answer to which was "I guess it was about time. We've been dating seven years. She has waited enough")

Nevertheless the ladies persisted "Did you go down your knee when you proposed ?" (acting out the Cinderella and Prince Charming fantasy I guess) ,"She must be overjoyed ?", "Have you decided where you'll be getting married ?" (i.e. was this going to be a destination wedding or a theme wedding ? T presumably is a destination kinda guy) and finally "What does the ring look like ?" T went on to describe it and the ladies cooed en-masse "How beautiful !"

I came to see a very interesting contrast between the reactions of a random bunch of men and women to the news of T's engagement specially in light of the fact that his girlfriend "had waited long enough". The women illustrated why T believed he had done the girl a favor by deciding to marry her at the long last. She had waited for him long enough to make her worthy of the honor and privilege. One guy reminded T that he had "upgraded" his girlfriend's status by getting engaged but nothing had changed for him. T was in complete agreement.

As a woman I felt offended when he said that and I was the minority of one. Isn't it as much a man's pride and joy to ask the woman he loves to marry him ? The boys viewed the engagement as T finally caving into pressure, to the girls it was about perseverance awarded with a diamond ring.

I wondered how little is different between women in the first and developing worlds and how little "independence" and "choice" had to do with mindsets. A girl in India who "catches" a suitable boy to marry her is viewed exactly how T's fiancée was viewed today by this group of Americans. Whereas men think she was impossible to shake off , the women marvel at how her persistence paid off in the end. I felt sorry for T's would-be bride and for those who so rejoiced over her good fortune.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques