Skip to main content

Cover Story

From experience, most men will claim they have been online looking for a wife only the last couple of weeks at most a few months and yet be hard pressed to explain how the age on their profile is lagging behind them by five years. Asking that "delicate" question could deal a fatal blow to the "relationship".

They also generally profess to hate "this process" and will regale you with stories from the days of gut and glory when picking up women "offline" was easy. But as luck would have it, just when they turned "ready" for marriage, their jobs got so busy that they no longer had time to date the good old fashioned way. It's amazing to what lengths they go to prove they are not some borderline lunatic or pervert lurking online to prey on unsuspecting women as they do turn out to be five times out of ten.

To have to resort to online dating seems to be viewed as a sign of being a socially inept loser, specially if they have been at it for a while without any success. The times three rule does not seem to be in effect in the online world - men will claim to have dated far few women than they really have. Picking up someone on the web is hardly a conquest like walking up to a woman in a bar and talking her into a date.

Instead of looking at the positive opportunities that this form of interaction presents, they follow a tried and tested script that calls for a certain cadence of e-mail, chat, phone conversations and in person meetings which rarely adapts itself for the current person of interest. With some differences, much of the same contradictions and angst around online dating might be applicable to women as well. It comes as no surprise that folks have been around for five years and are stilling looking and would be in need of a story to cover up their online meeting with the significant other when at last they do so.

Comments

ggop said…
There is some confusion in Indians about dating. Many don't need to work at getting a spouse, they have the safety net of parents' finding a suitable girl. About online dating I don't understand the "loser" aspect of it. People have promising profiles, correspond well online but are a big letdown in person. Looks like finding a real connection is not an easy process at all - on or offline.
gg
Anonymous said…
Without making a big deal of it, online searching for a mate or a dating service is a good thing. It widens the pool of available matches. Most immigrant Indians are not used to or adept at finding and dating mates as their American counterparts, who grew up with that model. To pretend that they were online only for a coupe weeks or any such excuse is pretty lame. Why anybody would fake a profile is beyond me, any advantage it may provide is fleeting till the first meeting where the let down probably erases any gains.

Anyway this post is a great reminder for me to cancel my match dotcom account that has been dormant for a couple of years...
Heartcrossings said…
g - I think the idea of being a loser comes from not having a compelling love story to tell - you know Bollywood style romance where boy meets girl by happenstance and the heavens conspire to make it work out despite enormous odds. Meeting online is totally devoid of that kind of romance.

sfg - One problem desi immigrants seem to have is that they try to do a combination of dating and arranged marriage and in as such fail resoundingly. They are not fully ready to let go of the safety net that an arranged marriage provides and yet want to be able to make independent choices.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques