Skip to main content

Left For Dead

I have written quite a bit on this blog on the state of education in America from my vantage point as a elementary schooler's mother. While fretting over the lack focus on academics, I have neglected to notice all that I take for granted. The teacher's I have known are unfailingly attentive to a child's physical well-being and will alert the parent promptly should something go even slightly wrong.

Reeti Roy in her first guest post for my blog, writes about two student deaths - one in an Indian school and another in a reputed Engineering institute, resulting from criminally negligent teachers.

Seventeen year old Aakriti Bhatia’s parents are devastated. The Class XII Student of Modern School, Vasant Vihar, Delhi died of an asthma attack on the 22nd of April, 2009. Even though the parents, friends and relatives of Aakriti say that Aakriti could have been saved had it not been for the school’s negligence, the school stands its ground saying that it did all it could. At around ten A.M, Aakriti complained of breathlessness but by the time she reached the hospital, it was too late.

The doctors declared her dead upon arrival and added that she could have been saved had she been brought in earlier. The parents of Akriti Bhatia want the Principal, Goldy Malhotra to resign with immediate effect. Bhatia’s father has gone on to say on record that he will go to the President of India if he has to. Even though he has lost a daughter, he does not want others to suffer the same plight.

Exactly a month ago, on March 22nd 2009, a 21 year old boy from IIT Kharagpur died after he fell off a rickshaw. This threw light on the fact that the campus was ill-equipped and medical facilities were not easily and readily available.

Rohit Kumar, an engineering student, was heading back to his hostel when he fell off from the rickshaw near the hostel gate and complained of pain. He went to B.C Roy technology hospital and he was kept under observation for three hours but Rohit’s friends claim that that the doctors did nothing. His friends tried to take him to the nearest hospital possible but Rohit started vomiting blood. Rohit was declared dead upon arrival at Midnapore Medical College.

The two incidents are uncannily similar. Isn’t it time for some hard questions to be asked? These are not isolated cases. And here, I am only talking about the urban elite. Both Modern School and IIT are top notch institutions. If they can guarantee academic excellence why can they not look after their wards? Despite having the funds, what were these institutions doing? If this is the plight of the so-called "elite" schools, what is happening in the "not-so-elite" schools?

In Aakriti’s case, the school authorities said that there had been a nebulizer and they showed the media a nebulizer. However, according to a student of Modern School, the oxygen was cut off when Aakriti was gasping for help out of desperation and breathlessness.

In case of Rohit, it was his friends to took the initiative of rushing him to the hospital. He was supposed to be taken to the Calcutta Hospital but because he started vomiting blood, he was taken to the Midnapore Hospital.

“ The Medical Facilities in case of an emergency situation is horrible. It is almost zilch. Many people do not go to B.C Roy when they fall ill. I personally had quite a bad experience in my first year. I had an upset stomach as a result of which I lost body fluids.They called an Ambulance and took me to the hospital. And the hospital treated me for high blood pressure, while I was on the verge of fainting. While I would not directly blame the college authorities, I think that since they are the ones who have the funds, they should be held responsible for the lack of facilities,” a source said.

This paints a really bleak picture of what can happen to students if they fall sick. One can only hope that these two horrific incidents will make the authorities wake up and take charge. Only, if they were more careful, such incidents could have been easily avoided.

(Sources: The Telegraph, http://www.oneindia.in/ )

Reeti Roy is a twenty year old student studying English Literature at Jadavpur University, Kolkata. She can be reached at reeti.roy@gmail.com and at her blog.

Comments

Vikas Gupta said…
A lot of students in recent times have been murdered in India thanks to the said negligence and ragging! :(

My university JNU has a very average Health Centre (with two chief Medical Officers who have very little medical knowledge!); thankfully however AIIMS is located nearby (but even AIIMS and Safadarjung are poorly managed!).

My schools (DAV, the best in the city) hardly had any medical facilities! Life is so cheap in our country!

The maiden post by Reeti is a thoughtful one.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques