Skip to main content

Lightness of Unbelonging

I can almost always tell if my association with a place or person will be a long. Having consulted for over ten years now, my typical stint at an organization is roughly between two to four fiscal quarters. I try hard to contribute from minute zero knowing that I will not have oodles of time to make an impact. Most often my efforts to that end have ranged from Nada to Middling.

Organizational change I have realized is organic, it takes dog years to happen not a couple of quarters. Over zealous contract resources like myself are tolerated with disdain bordering on contempt by the long timers typically accompanied by entitled attitudes. So, when I being to feel the sense of floatation in imaginary space that generally precedes the end of a stint, I resort to questionable means to foster longevity.

For instance, I will pretty up the bare cubicle walls, bring a coffee mug to work when God knows I am no coffee drinker. I may even start to socialize by the cooler with the types that I didn't even make eye contact with before. Most telling is the increased organization of paper on my desk and folders on my desk top. I did not do this say five years ago but I guess age has caught up with me. I do not enjoy uprooting and re-planting constantly. Offline though, my resume will go through re-incarnations based on the kind of gig I want to pick up next.

I remember this incident that took place on the way back home from work a few months ago . They were playing a Vivaldi bassoon concerto on 101.1 FM, the day was wet and grey, traffic was crawling. I had the time to absorb the landscape that I otherwise whiz past too fast to notice. It's amazing how different detail looks from a blur. When my eye fell on the marker that said "Dallas City Limit" I was filled with overwhelming, unaccountable nostalgia like I was seeing this sign after many years. It was like I has long since left Dallas and was coming back to visit. A feeling of light un-belongingness best describes it. Once back on TX-114 that feeling had passed. It was back to being an ordinary day heading back home.

I would have most likely forgotten about thoughts that crossed my mind in those few minutes unless it turned prophetic. I have since relocated and it was fairly sudden as moves typically have been with me. Even spring cleaning desk and desktop proved quite unnecessary in the final analysis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques