Skip to main content

Uncomfortable Silence

A few days ago, someone told me a joke that involved two golfers, a professional hit-man, a cheating spouse and a best buddy. The punch line had a reference to oral sex that completely eluded me. There was that pregnant pause after which the listener is supposed to burst out laughing.

I was as embarrassed by the silence as was the person telling the joke. We chatted about other things while I tried to decipher the joke in my mind. Back home a couple of hours later, I finally got it and laughed sheepishly.

The incident reminded me of a time when I wasn't given any credit for my understanding of adult humor. In a sense I have come full circle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the amusing side-effects of being divorced that I have noticed is being presumed juvenile. For instance married people think I will be shocked and embarrassed by risque humor. Worse, if the reference is oblique I would not even understand.

One gracious hostess desirous of sparing me needless agony volunteered to "translate" for my benefit or asked if I would rather hang out with the visiting-from-India-Mummies-and-Papas clustered in the formal living room. Thank goodness for the visiting parents or she would have to scrounge for a pair of sturdy ear-plugs.

The end of a relationship can cause various things to be lost - friendship, love and companionship come to mind first. That I would cease to be treated as an adult is not something I would have even anticipated. When my ability to understand an adult joke was questioned for the first time I had remarked with some indignation "I am adult and a mother. I think that makes me reasonably well acquainted with the human reproductive function and all references to it"

The would-be "joke-translator" was at loss for words. Someone in the room laughed just in time to diffuse the tension. The degree of "adultness" in subsequent jokes went up several notches accompanied by graphic asides on personal preferences and gratuitous displays of affection. Certainly an awkward situation to be in but I stayed on to build my resistance for future onslaughts.

I don't try to prove my point anymore. I excuse myself well before bacchanal bantering gathers momentum. The rate of depletion of alcohol in the bar is a fairly good gauge. I hang out with the kids or watch TV until I have done my time and can leave without offending the hosts.

The visiting Mummies-et-Papas can be terribly curious about my status and are prone to offering advice like "You should try to marry again while you are still young. Your child needs a father." Then there is the mother of all questions "So what went wrong ?" While I am very happy to provide them something to talk about other than comparing ad-infinitum their children's accomplishments (house, car/s, vacation destinations and job typically), I hate to have to participate in it as well.

Presumed juvenility is not restricted to comprehension of adult humor alone. Along with my social graces, my house-keeping and culinary skills are assumed non-existent. My "career" is of course a figment of my imagination. One woman never got over the shock of my saving her biriyani from the brink of disaster on the evening on her son’s first birthday party. Needless to say the incident marked the end of our friendship.

Visiting mother-in-laws have walked uninvited all over my apartment including my bed-room while on their reconnaissance missions. I have apparently lost my right to privacy now that I do not possess a husband. Juveniles obviously have no need for it.

The end of a marriage seems to be viewed as a proof of an individual's overall incompetence as an adult. That I could be a better mother than a married woman with a husband seems a far-fetched notion. J (my daughter) surprises therefore by being a normal, friendly, sweet-tempered child without an aching void for a father. One juvenile raising another is a joke and they expect to be able to laugh at it. My circumstances may have fed a lot of different appetites but my child has never been fodder. I consider that a measure of my success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques