Skip to main content

Vision And Execution

I was the client CIO all hand meeting a few days ago. The man's reputation precedes him and the reasons became self evident within minutes of him starting his presentation. The two hundred something in attendance that represented almost everyone in his food chain was spellbound. The one thing he reiterated was the importance of disseminating and living the vision at all levels of the organization, every single day. When faced with conflicting priorities every one of us should ask ourselves which of them is the best aligned with the vision statement and let the answer determine what our top priority should be.

In the majority of the Fortune 500 types I have consulted for, the people who craft the organizational vision have the greatest ideas. Unfortunately, the nitty-gritty of implementing the operating details of that vision falls to their direct and indirect reports. The greater the number of layers, the more significant are the transmission losses. The vision erodes in successive translations and what little is left over is nuked in its presumed execution. In the trenches fire drills continue unabated, the focus is on the wrong things for the wrong reasons. The vision statement is taped on the whiteboard along with pictures from the offsite fun event.

From what I have seen, boutique consulting and product development shops or startups operating from basements fare a lot better in their ability to live and act their corporate vision. It must have to do with degrees of separation and between C level management and the rank and file worker bees.

The ET interview with Murthy and Premji offers an amazing insight into the minds of the two visionaries who gave Indian IT industry its global footprint. Back in the day when I graduated from engineering school, landing a job in Infosys had a certain cachet due to a demanding job interview process that ensured they recruited the best talent that was out there. Wipro was a lot easier and therefore lacked in status.

When someone introduced themselves as in Infosysian, they commanded respect instantly. I must have been stuck in the 90s time warp in having held on to my antiquated notions about the typical Infosysian. A lot must have changed in the past decade because I never see that kind of quality in their offshore resources or maybe they save the scarce best for their top three clients of whose organizations I have never been a part.

Having a great vision and strategy is all good but having folks in the trenches floundering from cluelessness about what that vision means for them and being unable further the cause of the brand is akin to having termites eating at the foundation even as the edifice grows grander. The good news for the likes of Infosys and Wipro is that a lot of their clients don't have the ability to quantify their dissatisfaction with the vendor engagement. The metrics simply do not exist. Qualitative discontent is always easy to soothe over with generous doses of fluff.

Comments

Prerona said…
I have some questions about this - I have wondered ever since my days with TCS. Can I as you?
Heartcrossings said…
Hey Prenona - Sure. Do ask. TCS is tarred with the same brush as Infy, Wipro, Patni et al :)
Prerona said…
I'll email you. Thanks

R.
Rajavel said…
HC

Can you name some organisations that are not tarred with the same brush ;)

I guess its part of large organisations which loose their focus and passion during the learning phases !

I have seen this theme recurring in your writings : best for onsite and the rest for offshore .. but really do you think it will work that way ? Can it sustain ? Isnt it self defeating !?
Heartcrossings said…
cheti - No personal experience but I've heard good things about Virtusa. But then they don't play in the space as Infy, Wipro, Sapient, Patni, TCS et al.

Not sure about the theme in my writings about outsourcing. The vendors typically use their best talent to get a foot in the door.

After that things head south rapidly. The disarray in the client's organization help them get away with substandard work.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques