Skip to main content

Business Requirements

I have been in the IT industry for about thirteen years now. Thanks to my haphazard career planning and often the complete lack of it, I have changed just as many jobs during that time.Not content with merely job hopping every year, I have also worked in all kinds of roles and not in any chronological order. So for instance, I may have managed a program for a year and then found a business analyst gig for a change of scene. Coming out of that I have done a few months of testing followed by a spot of database design or process re-engineering work.

Since recruiters had no idea what the heck I had been doing and were not able to find a concentration of keywords to help them navigate through my resume, I ended up in random places assigned to do whatever came in handy. I went with the flow because it gave me an unique opportunity to gain first hand experience of things I would have had no idea of if I had followed any defined career path.

The most significant gain from all this has been my empathy for the different roles that have to work together to make an undertaking in the IT world successful. Unless you have been a tester working like a bot with no idea of the application, how it interacts with external systems and been actively discouraged to learn more, you have little appreciation for what it is to be in that person's shoes. Calling this test-bot person obtuse is easy.

Likewise only a developer who has had horribly non-technical business analysts throw vague requirements at him will know of the nightmares building that system entailed. They learn the hard way to pad their level of effort estimates by three hundred percent.


Of all the things that I have been, the business analyst role has probably taught me most about how the organization works or more accurately dysfunctions. Everyone who thinks they have what it takes to make it to the big league and snag the coveted corner office tends to highly disdainful of anyone who "gets too much into the weeds". They let the techs work that shit out and make sure to stay as far away from it as possible.

When you hang out in these circles the words that you hear repeated ad nauseum include strategic direction, architectural direction, organizational goals, vision statement, big picture and high-level objectives. If you get into a meeting with a few of these types hoping to figure out what problem they are looking to solve, chances are you would waste three hours and come back with a zilch.

Since they are determined to not get into the weeds like the lowly tech drones, the problem cannot even be articulated let alone solved. You need to tune out all the bombast and glean the couple of key pieces of information to arrive at the requirements pretty much independently because they will most likely not be able to vet what you present because it is way too "detailed". They struggle with the retarded, vision challenged worker-bees who fail to see how the big pieces of the puzzle fit to make this castle in the air which is the CIO's Utopian vision defined in his one line vision statement.

I could not agree more with David Meggison that business requirements often become the weakest link. Organizations still follow the age-old adage "Don't define how in the business requirements. Confine it to the what alone. How will be defined in design ". As Meggison points out this approach in inherently waterfall and that most people agree is not the wave of the future. Sometimes thinking of the how spurs discussions around the what and if wanting a certain piece of functionality is even realistic.

Considering the what in isolation from the how is like signing up to build a jet-plane while having the wherewithal to build only a bicycle. Sure you can always de-scope requirements that don't prove viable at the design phase. You may just as easily deliver the jet-plane without the engine and wings. Common sense would say it may be better to get a fully functional bicycle out of several man-months of work than an inoperable jet-plane. Somehow, this premise does not hold true in the realm of IT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques