Skip to main content

Prom Night In Mississippi

HBO's Prom Night In Mississippi tackles the sensitive subject of racism in present day America. While this is familiar territory, director Paul Saltzman's take is refreshingly different in that he proves is possible to be honest on this uncomfortable subject without being undignified. The film is about Morgan Freeman's offer to pay for the prom at Charleston High's if there is an integrated event. He first made this offer in 1997 and was turned down.

In 2008 Freeman tried again and this time he was successful though some white parents did organize a "whites-only" prom to protest their dissatisfaction. Interestingly enough, they never identify themselves or face the camera to talk about their position on an issue that are obviously very passionate about. Clearly, there is an universally acknowledged good and a bad side to the racism debate and people do not want to proclaim their bigotry to the world.

In many parts of America, people would find it impossible to believe that this film is depicting real events happening in 2008. Yet in other parts, where the under-current of racism is palpable even if not manifested as overtly as at Charleston High in Mississippi, minorities will be able to relate to their own experiences of being made to feel different and unwelcome in many subtle ways every single day.

The film is a brave examination of race relations in an America that believes it lives in a post-racial era having elected a black man to the nation's highest office. There are possibly many different kinds of America with varying degrees of acceptance of diversity. Saltzman shows us what goes on at one extreme of this wide spectrum.

The most heartening aspect of the story is even the kids who have grown up in an atmosphere fraught with anxiety and fear of the "other' race, are largely open minded. For the first time they are questioning the lessons that their parents have taught them and refusing to accept their ideology when it comes to race. Even in Charleston, Mississippi where an integrated prom is a dream in 2008, kids (black and white) want to break the cycle of hate and mistrust and value the individual over the color of their skin.

That is a positive sign for everywhere else in America where racism is a fact of life no matter how subtle the manifestations. America might be only a couple of generations away from becoming truly post-racial. Morgan Freeman talks about the need of a catalyst that would prompt greater social interaction between the black and white kids - the real key to deeper bonds between people who think they are different from each other. He provides just such a catalyst by paying for the first ever integrated prom in a school where such a thing had till then seemed impossible. With any luck, that should have set off the kind of positive reaction that can only grow stronger over time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did Charleston have an integrated prom again in 2009?
Unknown said…
Was wondering the same thing. Can't seem to find an answer. A 2009 prom certainly has to have taken place by now.
zara said…
Nice Blog!!!!!!!!!!This blog is really interesting and awesome.I like Prom Night movie very much....I like all the parts in this movie.....
I Watch Prom Night Movie online
honey said…
Prom Night is a horror and thriller movie that is a remake of the 1980s movie of the same name.This movie is directed by Nelson McCormick. Donna Keppel , after surviving a terrible tragedy, eagerly awaits her senior prom, which she plans to celebrate in style. Really wonderful story... I watch prom night movie from this website....

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques