Skip to main content

Celebrating Graduation

Not having attended too many graduation parties, I am not the most conversant with its norms. Recently I was at one that made me wonder about why parents do what they do and how it must feel from the young person's perspective in whose honor this is being done. In this instance, the family had rented out a small auditorium with dinner arrangements outdoors.

The young person in question was to showcase her talent with a short dance recital. At the foyer the parents had put on a slide show with the big events of their daughter's eighteen year old life. Invitees were handed out flyers cataloging her accomplishments since her kindergarten. In essence, this was a celebration of all that she was at the brink of adulthood.

In concept, that is a nice thing but I find the execution somewhat cringe-worthy. As a parent, I have every right to be proud of my child - celebrate all her accomplishments big or small - it is my prerogative. However, when I take the show on the road and enlist a captive audience of hundred odd to be party to this adulation fest, I guess I might be overdoing things just a tad.

If a young person has distinguished themselves significantly in this day and age, chances are that a Google search on their name will produce an exhaustive catalog of what makes them special. There should be no need for the parents to hand out resumes to everyone. I had to wonder if the graduation ceremony is a way to acknowledge and validate the work parents put in to raise a child or if it about placing their trophy on the shelf for all to see and admire.

The former in my mind is a fundamental responsibility each parent acquires as soon as they become one - there is no credit deserved or earned for doing their job even if it is done exceptionally well. The later probably does not work in the best interests of the child because they correlate the love and adoration of their parents to what kind of trophy they are able to become for their parents.

When we were heading home, J asked me if she would have a similar graduation party when it is her time. It will take me a while to help J understand my position on the issue and possibly longer for her to appreciate it even if we cannot come to an agreement.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is a kind of self-adoration dressed up as 'love'. A show of parental love which has the underlying message for all the other children in the community. An underlying message that 'success' is of one particular kind that is dictated by academic achievement in line with goals that the parents themselves had for their children. If it were just a large party it would be pretty innocuous. But more than what it meant for the hosts, it is the interpretation that is taken home by the guests that is so much more loaded. Even dance arangetrams( the first performance) have this organized 'self-promotion' in them, less about the art and more about parents ability to spend a lot of money.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques