Skip to main content

Stymied by Empathy

I found out this morning that my friend's husband had suffered a heart attack over the weekend. They are a young couple with a five year old boy. It took me a while to absorb the shock and collect myself enough to give her a call.  S is one of those women who make the combination of gentleness and strength look effortless.
She was supremely calm and talked about the positives in the situation - if they had delayed taking him to the hospital, he may not have survived. She was proceeding methodically, taking care of things she needed to and without anxiety. I on the other had broke down when she described how frightened her little boy was when he saw his father connected to wires and tubes, laid on a gurney and being wheeled away. 
I have played for hours with this child - in many ways, he fills my need for another child - a dream I may have to let go off at this point in my life. Imagining him scared and crying in a hospital as they tried to save his father was more than I could bear. I had to cut my call short because I was crying and had ceased to be any support for S. This has been a pattern in my life - when someone I care about has something unpleasant happen to them, I am completely so stymied by empathy that I am no real use to them in their crisis.
A mutual friend had the presence of mind to call S and offer her assistance with grocery shopping and babysitting - tangible things that will really be useful for that family right now. I have not been able to attend funerals because I was too scared I would get emotional and draw attention to myself instead of being there for the person who had suffered the loss. Months later, the bereaved have reached out to me to let me know that they were doing fine. I have felt mortified at my inability to check in on them when they needed it most.
When I got off the phone with S, I wondered what it might take for me to still have the capacity for empathy without losing the ability to be a source of strength and support to those I truly care about.

Comments

Priyamvada_K said…
HC,
I'm sure your empathy is a gift too in that it makes the listener feel they are not alone. Remember Bill Clinton's famous words "I feel your pain"?

Priya.
Hope said…
This soo happens with me too. I feel a certain fear, paranoid, maybe, to call on someone's distress times. I just don't know what to say to console them, as I get lost in feeling the pain of the person, as my own.
This is definitely something that I wish I could fix.
Heartcrossings said…
Priya, Hope - I think of the people who have stood my me in crisis and who I am deeply thankful to - they have empathy and composure just rightly balanced. I can tell the care deeply about me but are strong enough not to crumble by feeling my pain too personally.. That is who I aspire to be..

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques