Skip to main content

The Facebooking of LinkedIn

The only social media I personally use is LinkedIn. Have been there since the earliest days - among the first ten thousand users. Since that time LinkedIn has served me very well professionally. It used to be a way to keep in touch with former clients, co-workers, business connections, vendors and such. Most people were deliberate about who they added to their network. When looking for a new opportunity it was common practice to request an introduction to the decision maker through someone in your network that was directly connected to them. More often than not such introductions produced great results. 

When you received an update via email from LinkedIn, it was usually actionable - a connection had moved to a new job, they had messaged you, you received an invite or someone had accepted yours. Each notification could result in some follow-up and so you actually cared about them. Since Microsoft got in the driver's seat, LinkedIn looks more like Facebook and less like itself and that is such a tragedy. The updates from my network and all those that they follow and like is an inundation of information I don't need. It is no longer enough to be a passive actor on LinkedIn. There is an expectation of constant contribution to stay relevant. The quality of content declining in inverse proportion to the volume which grows exponentially.

To that end, people are posting self-congratulatory pictures and videos of themselves in action in their professional lives, recognizing peers and bosses for their accomplishments. Whereas in the past, there was value to catching up with your connection for coffee there is none anymore. You likely caught up to the last hour on what they have been up to. If you are not actively creating content for others to feed on, you don't exist. By not staying top of mind and above the fold so to speak, you become irrelevant to your network. 

The lines between professional and personal blur over time with no real benefits to either part of your life. In addition to staying relevant and connected to your thousand some friends on Facebook, you now have to repeat that whole process for your connections on LinkedIn. Employers expect you to be their brand ambassador and spread the word they want to spread via LinkedIn. Instead of shilling your favorite cosmetic brand on Facebook, you now extoll the virtues of your employer on LinkedIn, make sure you give your boss a shout out for being so awesome and tell your intern that they are a rockstar. This is not the venue for the jaded and disaffected and not being active on LinkedIn seems to connote both.

Bring your daughter or pet to work day merits two treatments now instead of one. A new job could entail a move and so the story needs to be told two different ways. Facebook has managed to socially isolate people and LinkedIn at the going rate will cease to be relevant as a professional network. It will increase the level of anxiety around professional standing and relative accomplishments but fail to give people what it once did - useful mentors, interesting opportunities, professional advice, ability to find connections in places where you did not have direct access.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques