Skip to main content

Return Experiment

I never had any problems with my Amazon returns and have made a fair share  of them over the years.  So when they started offering a drop-off at Kohl's as an option, I was surprised I wanted to try it. The local UPS store closer to me than the Kohl's and printing the label and pasting it on the box is not such a great hardship. Arriving at Kohl's I was surprised to find that the Amazon return area was the busiest in the store - it had sucked the air out of the room. 

Copious amounts of paper and was being wasted by printing large return receipts with a 25% store discount for each item returned. I had a bag full of these labels by the time I was done. Despite all of us getting these great discount labels no one seemed to stick around to shop at Kohl's. I did stay back to see how this experiment was turning out for the store. People were visibly happy to get their discount coupons with their return. Likely the reason they will continue to come back. But in trying to use mine, I found the assortment to be woefully lacking specially that the Amazon app is a click away. If anything it will promote a lot more show-rooming and ill-serve Kohl's. This is contrary to their expectations needless to say.

"We're off to a good start with the back-to-school season and are confident that our upcoming brand launches, program expansions and increased traffic from the Amazon returns program will incrementally contribute to our performance during the balance of the year and beyond," 

There is increased traffic no doubt and they are being lured by a friction-less return experience and 25% off coupons. All wonderful things, except as a customer who just returned something from Amazon, I would be most likely to look for it's replacement. And that is where the assortment at just about any brick and mortar store will not be able to compete. There is absolutely no incentive for me as a buyer to shop from Kohl's. I could just order it on Amazon again while in the store even. The prices beat Amazon only when stuff is on clearance already on deep discount. Then that 25% off moves the needle. 

In the business it is well know that all categories are not equal and similarly all footfall is not either. If I came to return my stuff bought from Amazon, I am likely treating Kohl's no different than the UPS store where I previously dropped off my returns. I am likely not in the frame of mind to browse and shop. So it is a footfall no doubt but hardly the most desirable kind. In the end this will serve Amazon way better than it does Kohl's.

Amazon has definitely shaken the Whole Foods tree and made it look like just any other grocery store. As a shopper, I see slightly better prices but the assortment has lost the charm and whimsy that was attractive to many I think. Everything is more data driven no doubt but sometimes operational inefficiency be an inadvertent contributor to the charm. I don't shop at the local farmer's market because they run a tight ship and know exactly what their customers want. They bring what they have and we get from there what we need. Whole Foods used to be that way once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques