Skip to main content

Times Past

Watched a Bengali movie after a pretty long time recently. By any objective standard it is pretty poorly made. The plight of the hapless young lady that simply can't be married off by her family is a maudlin, over-done tragedy to the point of cliche. Hard to tell what day and age the story is set in - one assumes several decades ago being that the protagonist goes to a typist school. All that being said, the movie struck a painfully deep chord with me. 

I have spent time in the arranged marriage purgatory of the middle class Bengali family back in my day. I have also seen other women in my family and social circles do their time in hell. Nothing good has come of out of it for any single one of these women including myself. The system is not designed for any remote shot at success. Depending on the woman's level of tolerance, which my Bengali sisters are blessed with plenty of, they soldier along and try to give it an appearance of working. For the first few years they even go the extra mile and try to appear giddy with joy. Not every sister can carry on this charade for life- but some exceptional ones do - they are the masters of the game. 

The movie brought to mind, the revolving door of prospective grooms, their insufferable families trooping in to check out the patri (the would be bride) with no outcomes. It gets to the point where getting married is about as welcome as being granted parole. The romance and happiness that marriage is supposed to bring in its wake wears out well before the garlands are exchanged. Being married (at last), turns out to be deeply anti-climactic. The dust settles, the newly-minted bride realizes that she was short-changed by the system. 

She looks around and sees there exists a world where she could live and breathe a free human being and not be valued exclusively for her performance as a wife and a daughter-in-law. If she is how I was back at that age, she will like work up an exit plan out of that marriage stunning all concerned - all the time and effort to get married laid to waste. I remember feeling like I had failed everyone who had been a part of this bizarre multi-year production - the effort to get me married to a bangali bhadralok - I had made them all look like fools. 

My own troubles were secondary to the large scale social disappointment I had caused by quitting on the marriage before year three. It is easy to look back at that time today and say how stupid I must have been to allow this to be done to me, that I should have held my ground and taken charge of my life. I was an educated, working woman back then - I surely had no excuse to be shown around like a cow in a cattle market looking for someone to approve of me solely based on what I looked like - if I met their criteria for "beautiful". I had agency and failed to use it - shame on me, no need to blame the "system".

When I describe that time of my life to J, she thinks its bizarre and medieval. She cannot comprehend how one such as her mother could subject herself to this atrocity. Yet, that was the life I lead and everything that happened to me, happened to all Bengali girls I knew. It was hard for me to fathom that we were collectively victims and we all deserved better. There was an implicit understanding that we girls needed to be processed through the system and somehow emerge married on the other side. That was the rule of the game and no one questioned it. There was this presumption that once you got to the other side and achieved the status of "married" life would be simply wonderful. That is how they sold this barbaric game to women, 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques