Skip to main content

Fake News

I have been reading Zucked by Roger McNamee. It is a book worth reading even for those who are very familiar with the Facebook story and have a decent understanding of what is so wrong with this "platform". There are any number of long form essays and books on this topic - some of which I have read. Where McNamee shines is in being able to connect the dots and show the reader how Facebook went down this destructive path. Profit over all other considerations and by manipulating human thought and behavior to fuel it's growth engine. I maintain a Facebook page for this blog but never had one of my own.

I use the blog's Facebook page out of a perverse curiosity to understand exactly how Zuck is trying to manipulate the entity that it thinks owns this page - I am sure they have connected dots despite my efforts to make it difficult. How much do they know and what are they doing with that knowledge. I have cranked the dials up and down in terms of how much I would allow Facebook to inundate me with content they believe would stick with me. Based on my home grown experiments with the giant AI machinery of Facebook, I have revealed a few things. 

First, Facebook has determined that I would be very interested in Bollywood gossip and glossy pictures of starlets in beautiful saris. Most women will flip through a fashion magazine if they have nothing better to do and yes I do think the sari is the most wonderful thing a girl could wear - just about any woman looks her best in the right sari for her. As far as Bollywood gossip, its not relevant or interesting to me. The names that I am familiar with are past retirement age and certainly don't feed the gossip mill anymore. More likely, I read news of their passing. 

Second, Zuck thinks that I am interested in pseudo-science and pseudo-social science. To that end a lot of my feed is populated with headlines that suggest research and analysis backing some provocative "finding". Provocative is key here - never saw a story that was not click-bait. The sources are almost always dubious. The likes of Nature or Lancet are not referred to in any of these things. The pseudo social science is even more hilarious. An entire essay could be structured around a line chart and the author could draw the most preposterous, unsupported, unverifiable conclusions from it. The final take-away is always along the lines of "the world is going to hell in a hand-basket". 

Whomever is cranking the levers to create the fake AI at Facebook has not being getting it right about me. I like saris as much as the next desi woman and but fake research is really not my thing. I bet they are missing the mark with millions of others too. But it takes a level of vigilance to mess the AI up to the point that it turns into a joke and can't really do the harm that Facebook is set up to do if allowed to run unchecked. As the authors in the HBR article point out this charade of magical, automatic, machine-driven AI needs to stop and companies like Facebook need to own up to what is really going on:

The first step is to require more transparency from tech companies that have been selling AI as devoid of human labor. We should demand truth in advertising with regard to where humans have been brought in to benefit us — whether it’s to curate our news to inform our body politic, or to field complaints about what some troll just posted to our favorite social media site. We should know there’s human labor in the loop because we want to have both the capacity to recognize the value of their work, and also to have a chance to understand the training and support that informed their decision-making, especially if their work touches on the public interest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques