Skip to main content

Seeking Empathy

It events of that weekend started with a small mistake. My friend S and I have cars keys that look identical and she took mine as she was leaving to travel out of the country on a family emergency. Her own keys were in her bag. I was staying back at her house to take care of some unfinished chores S was in no shape to  complete. When I got ready to leave, I and noticed my keys were missing. Called S, she was super apologetic and rushed to FedEx it to me over-nite on her way to the airport. That unplanned stop almost caused her to miss her flight. 

On Friday night once S had boarded the plane and my tracking number showed that I would be re-united with my keys in the morning, it felt as if after a minor hiccup all was well. I was so wrong. The package was attempted to be delivered but for unknown reasons it was not and went back to the main FedEx station. Another friend gave me a ride and we hoped my car would not get towed - I was not planning on staying this long and did not have the visitor permit. 

The FedEx location did have the package but they refused to give it to me because the package was not addressed to me - S had mailed to herself as it was being delivered to her house. Nothing illogical about it. S had arrived at her destination at this point and so I called. The agent explained to the both of us that she was following company policy and would be promptly fired from her job if she had the package to me when clearly the name and address on the mailing label did not match mine. The agent said the only thing to do was to ship it back to S and have her re-ship it proper name and address. This after I had explained the whole situation already. I was beside myself and started to lose it while other customers looked on. 

I asked the agent about her complete lack of empathy no matter company policy - my friend needs to be supporting a bereaved parent in another country who we can hear sobbing in the background - we are on speaker phone. S has been authenticated as the person who shipped me the item, I can show the tracking number she sent me, I can tell them exactly what is inside the envelope. But nothing would move the agent's position. S had to spend an hour on the phone calling their main number and getting me to be the person authorized to pick up the envelope - it took several escalations before she found someone who understood the problem and had a reasonable way to resolve it. 

As this drama unfolded, our other friend who had dropped me off had to leave as she had an appointment she could not miss and there I was stranded and feeling miserable that I could not give S time she so desperately needed. I was almost in tears and furious at the same time. We got things resolved and I got my keys, got an Uber and finally made it back. All told, this one mistake had costed us several hours of our collective time.

Once I had calmed down, I thought about serenity and how that may have prevented the calamity to begin with. When someone we care about is in the midst of a crisis, the best support we can offer is to help plan and organize, check and double check for mistakes, omissions and blind-spots. S was in no shape to think through what she was doing. My job was to provide the structure she lacked in her condition. I had failed her as a friend and compounded her troubles in a very fraught time. And that feeling of incompetence was expressed in the form of my upset with the FedEx agent. If she had to take action on every exception customers brought her way she would get nothing done in her entire shift. 

While I was waiting there, there were three other folks who came up to this agent with asks that were beyond her ability to accommodate. In each instance the customer was asking for something outside the norm. One man for example wanted to know if he could pop some large piece of trash into their dumpster. He spent a good five minutes explaining why he should be allowed. This was right before I came with my problem. And I was not last either. I was complaining about the agent's lack of empathy when in fact I was hardly demonstrating any myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques