Skip to main content

Integrated Whole

I have been working with marketers for more years than I can count now but it was only recently that I learned how the Hero's Journey is put to work. The person who explained this concept to me is an brand consultant with a liberal arts education. I have worked on and off with P for a while now and was impressed by how she always had the most unique and refreshing ideas of anyone else in the room even when there are a lot of creative types around. 

Every encounter with P is a learning opportunity. She reminds me of my friend A who is largely self taught and tinkers around with mechanical and electronic things. He is able to bring his education into real life every day - at home and at work, it is well-integrated whole. P has similarly brought her education to bear upon every real-world interaction she has, in ways that are seem unique to those of us who don't have the background she does. 

When a person is able to integrate learning, work and life in a beautiful symbiotic way like these folks have, they are able to be create unique value where those words intersect. A is able to rig up remote controlled a houseplant watering system out of remnants from other projects an hour before he has to leave town for a couple of weeks. There is a practical need in his life that he is able to meet using what he has learned over the years and used at work. 

P is able to make graphic art to illustrate branding concepts to clients that end up as posters in her studio, serving as wonderful conversation starters. When she is a buyer of a good or service, she engages in that experience in a way that yields invaluable lessons for her and her client. We would go through the same shopping cycle and miss out most of what there was to be learned and understood about the business and the market it serves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques