Skip to main content

Realized Dream

An old colleague from one of my earliest jobs in Kolkata, reached out to wanted to reconnect after close to twenty five years now. I remember S being friendly and happy to mentor a younger more inexperienced coworker - which I was. He would walk me through things very patiently and make sure I understood. After all these years, I cannot remember what I had exactly learned from him but the experience remains a positive memory from that time. He was engaged to be married and actively looking for other opportunities. Most of us who knew him thought he would make a good husband and father - S was one of those all around decent guys that no one could not possibly have a problem with. A proper straight arrow. 

As we chatted about the years since that time, it turns out that his life had proceeded exactly as any one of us could have predicted. He has two kids who are doing well - he is proud of their accomplishments. He is married to the same woman and has lived in the same Midwestern town since he first came to the US twenty years ago. He has also been in the same job and same role for the last fifteen years. I could not help comment on how remarkably stable his life had been. I brought him upto speed with mine and could see his expression turn from disbelief to a bit of wistfulness. The level of drama (though he heard a two sentence summary of it all) might have been appealing from his vantage point where just about everything proceeded exactly per plan, there had been no dragons to slay - ever.

I mentioned that I had longed for normal, average and pedestrian as the ways to describe my life - sadly none of that happened and not in a good way. It would be one thing if the out of range experiences would lead to some larger than life outcomes, impact in the world and so on. Such is simply not the case - just a lot of needless strife to no particular end. When we got off the call, I felt myself thinking I would not want the life S and his wife have - no matter how difficult things have been for me, I am still glad I arrived where I did taking that path. If I had to guess, S went away wondering what "adventures" he may have missed out on as wholesome as everything has been. He was never a career-minded person and as he said once the kids were born they became the center of his universe - which I can completely believe knowing his from back then. I can see him transitioning to peaceful retirement and a doting grandfather in time - living my dream of normal to the end. So my reaction to seeing my supposed dream manifested in another person's reality was odd.  It was an unusual experience all around. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques