Skip to main content

Dragnet Charm

These lines from Emile Zola's Au Bonhuer Des Dames capture the exact feeling of being caught in the throngs of holiday shoppers all gawking at shop windows

..Denise had the sensation of a machine, operating at high pressure, whose movement had reached the shelves. They were no longer the cold windows of the morning; now they seemed heated and vibrating with inner trepidation. People were watching them, arrested women were crushing themselves in front of the mirrors, a whole brutal crowd of lust. And the fabrics lived, in this passion of the sidewalk: the lace had a quiver, fell and hid the depths of the store, with a disturbing air of mystery; the pieces of cloth themselves, thick and square, breathed, blew a tempting breath; while the overcoats arched more on the mannequins which took on a soul, and the large velvet coat swelled, supple and warm, as if on shoulders of flesh, with the beating of the throat and the quivering of the loins. But the factory heat with which the house burned came mainly from the sales, from the jostling of the counters, which could be felt behind the walls. There was the continuous hum of the machine at work, a crowd of customers, crowded in front of the shelves, stunned under the goods, then thrown at the checkout. And this was settled, organized with mechanical rigor, a whole population of women passing through the force and logic of the gears.

Even today, the shopping district in any iconic city feels exactly as Zola describes. The shop windows are like dragnets sweeping the gawking shoppers in and then through a series of moves that occur within the shop, the "machine" separates them from their money and spits them out on the street with things they most likely do not need and will experience buyer's remorse over. The cycle repeats in many shop windows as they work their way down the street, swimming in the great tide of shoppers like themselves. 

I am not a shopper and just about everything that looks beautiful in a shop-window feels extremely over-priced to me. Those are not numbers I am comfortable with so buying is not even a remote option in my case. There are things I might enjoy looking at and there are things that I will actually purchase for personal use - the two are very far apart from each other. Being thrust in a crowd that is intent on real shopping is a very suffocating experience for me and I look for the first opportunity to duck into a side street where there is little if any action. It's where I feel safe from the machine that Zola so eloquently describes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques