Skip to main content

Identifying Pointless

Several times in my career. I declined to interview because the hiring manager was fixated on some or the other certification that I did not have and had absolutely no desire to acquire at any time. I told the recruiter that it is a red flag and the person likely has no idea what job they are meant to do so they would not be able to manage anyone who is being hired to help perform at that unknown and unknowable job. The recruiters seemed to get the point but they had their marching orders so even if they thought I had an interesting argument there was not much they could do with it. It is highly unlikely my immediate size-up of the abilities of the hiring manager was communicated to anyone. I wish more people heard feedback from the field but that is a whole another problem about how we work hard at protecting feelings, managing expectations and try not to tell people managers that they are really bad at that job and need to go find something else to do. 

Reading this Medium essay about the uselessness of certifications made me chuckle. I changed jobs a couple of times because X number of certs in Y months had turned into a performance metric driven zealously by some guys at the very top of the food chain who had never come to come into any kind of contact with technology they insisted on everyone being certified on. But in their hearts they knew that the X in Y months was the only way the teams would be productive and bring in revenue. 

In each instance, my managers agreed with me wholeheartedly that this metric was pure bullshit and the top performers on any team were not doing as well as they did because they were certified - it was always a combination of experience, hustle and emotional intelligence. We both agreed, it would be a waste of time fighting the good fight - just get the damn cert and move on with your life. Each time this conversation happened, I did move on with my life but to a place where my value as a human being was not being measured by the number of certs behind my last name. 

Two decades ago, certs were useless and that has yet to change. Yet, people do pursue them and there are periods of time when the powers that be imagine they can solve for their lack of leadership ability and vision by keeping their workforce properly certified. My grandmother used to believe in the power of certain amulets she got from her Guru to solve all impossible problems in the family. Faith can move mountains as they say, 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques