Skip to main content

Open Window

Being rich and leaving your windows open go together. I have seen this phenomenon is some neighborhoods - one that comes to mind is a townhouse community on the river with boats docked in front of the homes. There is a walkway that meanders through the community and the artsy part of downtown behind it. If you are the homeowner in your living room, you have a much better vantage point than the passersby who might curiously peer into your house. I always thought it was a strange choice to leave windows open specially when the living space is at eye-level with someone walking by.

The only way it makes sense is if the space that is in public view is decorative and performative. The people who live there perform their lives and show themselves in the most flattering light from that open window. Reality is a few walls away and hidden from view. There are likely rooms in that house that are soundproof and also don't have windows open to the world. It makes sense that the rich want to flaunt an ideal life - because it implies money can and has bought them happiness. If that were not true, there is almost no point in doing all the work it takes to get rich and stay rich. I think it has more to do with self-soothing and affirmation than exercising privilege. It is also like being on social media but in real life. You can gauge how the audience receives your staged and performed live - you can do more of what works and refrain from what does not. The author of this Atlantic piece has a different perspective though:

In the U.S., the uncovered window is perhaps less an expression of communal trust than one of personal protection. Wealthier homeowners, who can also afford state-of-the-art security systems, may not feel that they need shades. These curtainless windows have become one of our subtlest statements of privilege. They demand our attention, not only because they give us a peek inside beautiful homes, but also because they project the type of confidence and stability that few of us can dream of replicating.

In my parents' apartment complex in Kolkata all neighbors have all windows open. My mother checks in to see if M her neighbor in the building across from her is by her sewing machine sipping her chai before calling her. This signals that she is done with breakfast and puja and now working on her hobby projects - it is a good time to call. Everyone has some kind of routine that others have learned by observation and it is part of the social fabric. That is very different kind of open window situation than giving some random person walking by your house a glimpse of the Venetian chandelier hanging above your black ebony dining table. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques