Skip to main content

Learning Patterns

 I have known L for years but visited her for the first time a few weeks ago. It was a short but memorable stay. Her place sits on hillside and is next to a state park. The view from the back porch is fantastic - you see mountain ranges on one side, a forest and lake on the other. She has numerous fruit trees in the yard and a magnificent Jacaranda in full bloom. We sat there taking in the scenery. The distant whooshing of cars was the only interruption to the sound of the many chirping birds. L gave me her binoculars so I could see them flitting in the trees. Every day could feel like a vacation sitting on L's porch. It is no surprise that they are both reluctant coffee badgers but are willing to do what it takes since the end is so close. They are willing to put with the pointless commute to earn their credits for the week.

She and her husband are a few years away from retirement and very much looking forward to it. There was a time when they both enjoyed what they did for a living. Despite busy jobs and having to raise four kids, they found time for hobbies that took a lot of time and effort. This was a couple that seemed to be able to get a lot out of their day and were inspiring to others. Over the many conversations during our stay, I was able to piece together how the tide turned. It is a story of death by a thousand cuts - small disappointments, things not working out quite as expected in many fronts and ennui from lack of meaningful change. Considered alone, none of the events are quite cataclysmic but they add up and create this desire to leave it all behind and never look back. 

L reminded me of my father in the years leading up to his retirement. He was so ready and counting down the days - like a prisoner waiting for freedom. He stopped trying to bring about change in his life when in fact he was completely free of responsibility at the time and could make big, bold moves if he wanted to. Instead, like L, he chose to shrink the boundaries of his universe very drastically. It became his dream to go out to the market every morning to get fresh fish and vegetables for the day. He had no further plans for how he would spend his retirement years. For someone who worked a very complex job for thirty some years, traveled extensively and made decisions impacting many every day, this was the epitome of an uncomplicated life. My father is eighty now and continues to live his simple life as he had wanted. He has the satisfaction of doing it his way and he has built upon his desire to simplify by limiting his engagement with the world outside home. 

J and I find it very difficult to communicate with him because there is nothing to talk about. This was not the person he always was. This is who he turned into by choosing to live the way he does. Part of me wanted to tell L that the retirement she was dreaming of could have unintended consequences. She already struggles to find common ground with her kids who are in their thirties. I chose to hold my peace fearing it was not my place to tell a woman close to retirement age how she should live the rest of her life. With my father back in the day, I felt I was within my rights and shared my concerns many times to no avail. His mind was completely made up and there was nothing to rethink or revisit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques