Skip to main content

Value of Adornment

C is a new hire at the hair salon I visit. She was billed as the up and coming star that cost half of their usual rates. I was willing to try as little can go wrong with my very simple hairstyle. C was remarkably silent through the process and focussed on the job. She seemed very young and I wondered if she was nervous about making mistakes. 

In an effort to ease her up, I tried to make some small talk but wading through a swamp in stilettos would have been easier. From what I could see, C was competent and there was no risk of any terminal errors. I had to assume she was either quiet person or did not want to engage me in a conversation for whatever reason. In my efforts to warm her up, I complimented a gold-colored bracelet she was wearing and asked where she got it from- that it would look nice on my daughter. She said, "It's from Cartier". 

I repeated that it was very pretty and immediately wondered if that was not the biggest faux-pas ever. The style of the said bracelet is very familiar and recognizable; any woman who has not lived under a rock would have likely seen it - on fashion magazines, billboards and so on. It's like knowing what the Tiffany blue looks like. There is a presumption that a person who bothers to come to a hair salon would know at least that. Clearly, I had failed the most fundamental fashion awareness test. 

It got me wondering about the value of adornment on a woman. Who adds value to whom more specifically - does the woman adorn the gold she wears or is it the other way around; if the answer to that question is - it depends. If this had been someone I met in the course of a business meeting and especially a high-powered client, I would assume by default that the bracelet was a Cartier as it appeared to be. On this young lady, I assumed that Target had produced a remarkably classy imitation of designer jewelry. I was considering it for J thinking it would be a total steal for under twenty bucks. The idea that it cost several thousand dollars was unimaginable. 

I wondered if anyone else in my seat getting their hair cut would see this piece of jewelry for what it was, what would they assume if they did. Would they wonder about the incongruity between the young lady's income and what she was wearing on her wrist? Would they wonder if the kid came from a rich family and did not feel compelled more than doing hair? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques