Skip to main content

Lost Normal

I was thinking about the waning days of 2020 recently and how everyone talked about they were waiting for the year to be over as if 2021 was imbued with some magic that would right the wrongs of the past year. The slew of virtual happy hours got tiring after a while and I found ways to avoid most of them. Skills can be forgotten at any age if unused for long enough. I believe such is the case with in-person conversations and mingling in a party. The later does not come very easy to many and when we have the choice of sitting it out in our home office with limited ability to get on the video because too many people are already on there, the skill only erodes further. The NYT carried a whole story on the topic of social awkwardness being a side effect of the pandemic.

Psychologists and neuroscientists say something similar is happening to all of us now, thanks to the pandemic. We are subtly but inexorably losing our facility and agility in social situations — whether we are aware of it or not. The signs are everywhere: people oversharing on Zoom, overreacting to or misconstruing one another’s behavior, longing for but then not really enjoying contact with others.

I am definitely not enjoying is made up social situation to simulate what has disappeared from the real world. The longer it takes to return to normal, the harder it would be to do these pretend things even if they all well-intentioned. As the NYT author says:

People inevitably change over time and certainly after something significant, like a pandemic, upends their lives and shakes their confidence in what they thought they knew. Values shift. Personalities alter. None of us are the same 

The online happy hours and coffee on Zoom continue unabated as I write this. I am struggling to embrace this change and not become reclusive. The small group settings are a bit easier on my nerves. Seeing the screen spilt a dozen ways into that may many lives on video is over-whelming for me. The more creative among us are finding ways to break ice online, trivia games and fun facts are the order of the day. Somehow jokes are way harder to land in this format and most of us miss by a mile, And we have to smile and laugh on cue so we don't suck the air out of our gathering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques