Skip to main content

Old Scar

My childhood friend S called me unexpectedly early one morning. She never does that so I was prepared for some crisis and anxious as I answered the phone. She sounded forlorn but nothing was seriously amiss. That morning when she was washing her face, she noticed a pale white patch under her left eye that covered a quarter of her face. The discoloration was so mild that no one would notice until it was pointed out to them. S said she fretted about this thing for a good hour before she remembered it was a relic from her infancy. The ups and downs of life had been such that she hardly had the time to look at her face thoughtfully and so this scar had faded into oblivion. But recalling how her face came to be scarred triggered some avalanche of bad memories and she needed to talk to someone who would understand. 

S had just learned to crawl back then, Her mother was ironing some clothes and most unaccountably had left the hot iron on the floor and was apparently engrossed in talking to a friend who was presumably in the bedroom where the action was taking place. As the two chatted, S crawled over to the hot iron and stuck her cheek to the plate. The action was swift, she was taken to a doctor immediately after getting first aid at home. The scar on her face became the center of her mother's guilt and existence. She remembers the remnants of that into her early teens. Her mother recounted the event many times over the years but the identity of the friend always remained a blur. He father chose not to discuss the event at all. S says theirs was a loveless marriage but they stuck together from lack of motivation to do anything else. 

That particular morning, S wondered if that friend in the bedroom her mother was so engrossed with that she left a hot iron on the floor around a crawling baby might have been the third in her parent's marriage - the cause of their sad co-existence. For some reason the idea that the incident could have been a random act of neglect and not an accident made S feel like the foundation of her life was a lie and the rest could simply fall apart any moment. We talked about that and many other things for over an hour. I believe I left her in a better place after that - in the least enabled her to move on from that train of thought from a past she had no way of knowing or validating to things more in the here and now. After we hung up, I thought how this strange conversation made perfect sense for me and S to have but it would come across something between crazy and entitled had it been someone else. I felt so lucky to have had S a steadfast presence in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques