Skip to main content

Not Agreeing

I needed time to process the events of Jan 6 and all that followed since that time. Friends and family overseas said we were no better than a banana republic. There was pity more than there was surprise - for great things falling apart, watching the end times. Closer to the action, I found myself unable to overcome the numbness. I know a lot of folks who are ardent supporters of the president in question. Many don't hide their affiliations. When I came across this poll, I could not help wonder if the sentiments are representative of these people I know as well. Political differences can place people who are otherwise friendly to each other and have things in common, very far apart. The results of the poll are a stark reminder of how far and apart those universes have come to be. There is no place to meet in the middle anymore.

Many of my Bengali friends and relatives were ardent communists back in the day. My parents were not. I recall the adults having heated political debates when our families got together. As kids, we would listen-in amused by the colorful epithets each side used to malign the other and how some mild-manner uncle who would not hurt a fly would make incendiary remarks about breaking and remaking the system from the ground-up. It was a ton of hot-air and people bullshitting because it was a form of entertainment for all concerned. Once dinner was served, everyone would return to being friendly with each other, it was as if that political grandstanding never happened. Come election time people voted according to their loyalties and hated it when the other side won. But none of that diminished the human connection between the two sides. 

Those same relatives are still squabbling over their politics even today though there is no communist party in the mix anymore. The fight has moved on to include other actors. They still don't agree, and argue passionately about their positions. Yet, when one of them is sick and needs help, they don't hesitate a moment to call the person who hates their political persuasions with a burning passion. My father and my maternal uncle would be just such a pair. Yet, there is great love between them undiminished by all the crazy arguments and name calling - they will do anything for each other. If that scene were to be replayed in this country, I don't want to imagine how badly things could go and that is a tragedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques