Skip to main content

Whole Self

My friend T told me about a recent experience she had at work. It was a quarterly planning meeting with the boss and directs. As an ice-breaker for what would be a long session, someone came up with the idea of each person sharing a line about what they are currently working on and one thing about them no one would guess seeing them. The boss went first and provided info about her personal life that must have been incredibly difficult to share. 

T's boss is known to wear vulnerability like a suit of armor and invisibility cloak combined. She has made a performative art out of it from what I can tell from T's stories. With the bar being that high, everyone else in the team was forced to step up and most people missed the mark by a mile by saying inane stuff like they make a mean pasta with fava beans, foster a couple of blind kittens, tinker with a 1960s tractor in their spare time and so on. Clearly no one in T's crew was willing to bring their full authentic self to work and maybe that is the right thing to do.

..while it is nice to provide people with a sense of purpose and help them see their work as more valuable and meaningful, let’s keep in mind that a significant proportion of any company’s workforce may never see work as a central part of their life, yet that won’t stop them from making a valuable contribution to their organizations and be good organizational citizens.

T's boss may have her self-worth fused with her work and that's great for her if that brings her satisfaction but the rest of her team does not have to live up to that standard. They could be people who work the job (and do very well at it) to pay for the things that they are truly passionate about. That is their protected personal space that they should not be expected to share anything about. Many years ago, I remember how we all felt when one of our colleagues dropped it casually into a conversation that he was a movie critic on the side and got passes to just about every important film festival. 

This guy was average at his job, a sharp dresser and needed a fair bit of assist from the team to take projects to close. We did not mind lending him a hand because he was very pleasant and friendly. Now this business about moonlighting as a film critic cast everything in very new and different light. People became far less inclined to support him. Many of us had our passion projects too but we still took full ownership of the job that paid the bills. There was not much sympathy left for this guy who we collectively saw as using us to further his own cause in life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques