Skip to main content

Sans College

The travails of Gen Z joining the workforce makes for sad reading. The bar to make enough money to stay afloat and pay off student debts (if any) is becoming ever harder to reach. Education for the sake of learning and personal growth is a luxury that some can ill-afford. Young people need to have a vocational lens from early on which makes some wonder why they are even wasting time in college - all it leads to in the end is a very expensive piece of paper that they will now have to pay off in addition to their ongoing living expenses - there is no apparent sense in this. 

Parents of our generation and older do not know better and don't have a crystal ball to look into the future. Will employers twenty years out care at all if you have a college diploma and would it ensure that you increase your income potential? The truth is that we don't know. It would only take a few large employers to change the hiring climate drastically. If they started to say that they need a high school diploma and being able to get through their entrance exam to have a job. The new hire will be in training for the next two years at a very low pay to make them fit for any type of job in that company. If the person chooses to leave they will have to repeat the same process at another company. 

But once trained in one they will create mobility for themselves and not need to re-enter through that first door over and over. A plan like this could work for employers if there is a business value attached to it - say it provides the company with the exact skills and qualifications to be successful in growing their business, reduces attrition and company culture is built from the ground up. 

This process does not work if people who at the end of their training period simply leave. But there could be ways to mitigate such flight risk by making such candidates feel unwelcome in the larger marketplace. If the market placed a premium on stability - completing the training and having 2-3 years of steady employment at the same company, it would reduce the propensity to jump ship too soon for this process to make sense for the employer. In the tech business the skills to do the job are very different from what a person studied in college - they would be lucky if there was even a tangential connection. 

Accenture launched an apprenticeship program in 2016 and has since hired 1,200 people, 80% of whom joined the company without a four-year-degree. Earlier this year it expanded the program with the goal of filling 20% of its U.S. entry-level roles — everything from application development and cybersecurity to cloud and platform engineering — from apprenticeships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques