Skip to main content

Telling Lies

The posts from folks who have been laid off the last few months have a certain formulaic, untruthful tinge to them that makes for painful reading. The structure of all posts are alike - Was in a complete state of shock at first and upon recovery felt ever so grateful for the 10-20 years they had with the company and "the people they collected along the way" - that turn of phrase has a stomach churning effect for me - what in the hell is collecting people? People are not objects you add to your collection of things and objects. Then to go on to say they don't know what is next but will figure it out, big thank you to the company that just threw them out like last week's festering trash. Strong and positive close just as the the societal norms expect. That is so crazy wrong at every level.

A post like this in my network garners several hundred likes and comments. I have been laid off and have known people who have been as well - some at the same time as me, others at other times. I have been in situations where a lay-off is being announced in an all-hands call and my boss is texting me to let me know I am safe but he won't have time to chat with me until next week because a lot of the team is impacted. I experienced the combined, vomit inducing forces of guilt, relief and sadness punch me in the gut. 

Then I became aware of who they decided to let go and it made no sense - not to me, not to their manager and not to anyone who had ever worked with these folks. The randomness of the event was like a  hard slap on the face. I know for a fact that the other side did not have any single positive emotion about the company that had down-sized them. The morale of those that remained sank, after the dust settled, a lot of people left on their own because they knew it could be their turn next and they did not want to be passive recipients of bad news, have their dignity shredded publicly. 

They do not feel good about the company that treated their peers and friends so capriciously. Everyone has one question in mind that I saw only one person ever openly talk on LinkedIn - why is no one placing responsibility where it squarely belongs, highest levels of management where bad bets and decisions were made resulting in the need for such inhumane correction? why are those people not being held accountable for their actions and being laid off too? This whole game of not burning any bridges and keeping it positive takes a heavy toll on people - no one believes a single word they are writing and the same is true for everyone who has to play along and pretend they are aligned with such performative trip along the moral high road.

The company that once laid me off tried to hire me back. One of my close friends had a similar experience with her company. We decided to politely decline -maybe we are too random to matter but I can't think of one reason to return to the company that fires you in the middle of the night, disables all your accesses like you were a common criminal and leaves you to connect the dots out about your fate listening to the morning news. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques