Skip to main content

Good Intention

A nice story about good intention and honest effort that don't yield the desired results. While the regular person does not usually concern themselves with return of  museum artifacts to the country they were removed from, there are elements of this story that we can all relate to:

Using state-of-the-art technology in a warehouse-like workshop, digital archaeologist Roger Michel and his team are recreating the hotly contested Parthenon marbles.

The idea behind it is simple — make exact 3D replicas of the marbles and donate them to the British Museum in exchange for the return of the original sculptures to Greece.

But when the British Museum shut down an official request by Roger's team to go and get the 3D scans, the team decided to get them anyway, "guerilla-style"

At work a junior employee has a good idea that they are passionate about and are happy to invest their personal time in building (for the greater good of the company - not for any reward other than the greenlight from management to proceed). Their idea is either ignored or shot down. The employee is relentless and decides to go ahead anyway - with or without sanction. They get the job done, the results are great and they never missed a beat on their assigned work. 

A great situation all around one would imagine. But as it often turns out, this thing that the "over-zealous" employee has built does not sit well within how decision-makers in the company see the puzzle pieces fit. So the thing gets cast aside, never adopted and put to practical use. The junior employee moves on with their life. But not everything is in vain. Someday, the efforts of their guerilla artists maybe the reason the Parthenon marbles find their way home. Likewise, someone in the company might dust of  the junior's employee's project and see great success. These events will unfold at a time that the people who pushed for change do not control.

The issue with the Parthenon marbles can appear simple or complex based on perspective. Did the marbles come into British possession by legal means or were they removed without proper authorization. Does a lawful action that took place in the past, make it irreversible in the present when the tide of public sentiment has turned. While nearly not as complex, some of reasons that are not immediately obvious sealed the fate of the junior employee's project. 

At work the junior employee might have been better served to understand why stakeholders were not as enthused about his idea as they should have been. The guerilla artists with their plan for the Parthenon marbles could have partnered with likeminded organizations to create grass-roots support for their plan, demonstrated how the British museum would have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Liberated Woman

An expat desi friend and I were discussing what it means to return to India when you have cobbled together a life in a foreign country no matter how flawed and imperfect. We have both spent over a decade outside India and have kids who were born abroad and have spent very little time back home. Returning "home" is something a lot of new immigrants like L and myself think about. We want very much for that to be an option because a full assimilation into our country of domicile is likely never going to happen. L has visited India more often than I have and has a much better pulse on what's going on there. For me the strongest drag force working against my desire to return home is my experience of life as a woman in India. I neither want to live that suffocatingly sheltered existence myself nor subject J to it. The freedom, independence and safety I have had in here in suburban America was not even something I knew I could expect to have in India. I never knew what it felt t

Cheese Making

I never fail to remind J that there is a time and place for everything. It is possibly the line she will remember me by when I am dead and gone given how frequently she hears it. Instead of having her breakfast she will break into a song and dance number from High School Musical well past eight on Monday morning. She will insist that I watch and applaud the performance instead of screaming at her to finish her milk and cereal. Her sense of occasion is seriously lacking but then so is mine. Consider for example, a person walks into the grocery store with the express purpose of buying detergent because they are fresh out of it and laundry is only half way done. However instead of heading straight for detergent, they wander over to the natural foods aisle and go berserk upon finding goat milk on sale for a dollar a gallon. They at once proceed to stock pile so they can turn it to huge quantities home-made feta cheese. That person would be me. It would not concern me in the least that I ha

Under Advisement

Recently a desi dude who is more acquaintance less friend called to check in on me. Those who have read this blog before might know that such calls tend to make me anxious. Depending on how far back we go, there are sets of FAQs that I brace myself to answer. The trick is to be sufficiently evasive without being downright offensive - a fine balancing act given the provocative nature of questions involved. I look at these calls as opportunities for building patience and tolerance both of which I seriously lack. Basically, they are very desirous of finding out how I am doing in my personal and professional life to be sure that they have me correctly categorized and filed for future reference. The major buckets appear to be loser, struggling, average, arrived, superstar and uncategorizable. My goal needless to say, is to be in the last bucket - the unknown, unquantifiable and therefore uninteresting entity. Their aim is to pull me into something more tangible. So anyways, the dude in ques